Monday, January 26, 2009

Ushering the new year

Well, well, well - its the new year, may be not so new anymore since 26 days have already passed and India is celebrating its 60 years of being a republic. What does 60 years mean to this country? It has indeed emerged as one of the largest economic developing country of this era. And with the stature, comes a whole lot of woes, that are hidden away in the life of the common man.

60 years of being a republic means up to 8% economic growth, it means 1.5 billion people in this country, probably the most diverse race in this world, that speaks more than 18 national languages, and has people of all color, creed and religion. It is a miracle that we have made it so far and we, the people, need more than a miracle if we want to survive in the next few decades.

Just last evening, my mobile was stolen amidst a gathering! Bah was I not annoyed. Anyways the phone is having a mobile tracker, I am going to have the last laugh, when the thief puts in a new SIM - its going to trigger a message to an emergency number, which I have registered, that will contain the new number - a convenient software built in some Samsung phones. But I doubt if anyone is going to help me track him down.

To add to the days woes, something else happened. Last night, I filled the tank of my car up to 38 liters of petrol, to find soon after, that the car does not move more than 60km/hr and jerks so often that it gets really annoying. On consulting the mechanic today, he examines the car and after some time says with conviction after having a look at the petrol - "Sir, the petrol has been adulterated"

I am stunned, picturing shooting 'letters to the editors', half cursing beneath my breath, I was plain furious. I then proceeded to lodge a complaint about the phone and the petrol at the nearest police station. You can guess what happened next! Go on! Take a guess!

Ushered by a shabby inspector, I was told to go to the Commercial PS for the lost mobile and to the Audugodi PS for the complaint on the adulterated petrol. I looked at him with pleading eyes, which just elicited a response - "It ain't in our jurisdiction, Sir!". Police is to protect the people, for the people, but here it is 'run away from the people'. The inspector acknowledged that a case has already been registered against the notorious Hamsa Petrol Service [which btw is the one between Forum, Koramangala and Big Bazaar]. If its already known that the service station serves adulterated petrol, why is it still open? Why hasn't the police done anything to shut it down. I sign! Law is not as swift as it seems!

Tomorrow I will be proceeding to the Ford Service Center, get the required proof and proceed to the Hamsa Service Station, to challenge them and than lodge a formal complaint. Well you can almost guess what is going to happen tomorrow, its happened thousands of times before. But well, you never know!

Its been a sad turn of events, and am more hurt since I realize I am one of the million people who get duped everyday - autos, petrol, bad roads, no protection, poor medical facilities and what not, a list that can consume this blog and many more.

"What can a man do against such reckless hate!" - a dialogue said by the King of Rohan in LOTR - 2 on the verge of losing a battle. Only here, the war is against the common man.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true..and indeed upsetting :(

~anu~ said...

ridiculous and painful! dont stop at any level taj, just dont!

peeran said...

did u do follow it up?.. i sure do hope u did!!!