Friday, November 7, 2008

Ubuntu - 8.10 - Disappointed




Well, here I am really bored. Waited patiently for the Ubuntu new version 8.10 of Linux to be downloaded, it just released last week. Never used Ubuntu, have heard its pretty sleek.

I had just finished downloading the entire pack of Fedora as well, however chanced upon the new release of Ubuntu and decided to wait.

Download over, hope against hope I opened the rack of CDs to find a last burnable CD left. It is just a 690 MB install, pretty cool huh, Fedora was 3.8GB, but of course I am not certain if it boasts of all the applications Fedora comes packaged together with, though.

Burned it, rebooted system. Cool menu and even has an option to check out the OS without actually installing. Clicked on the Install option and after a short splash cool screen, nothing - blank screen with the cursor dangling at the left corner. I said to myself OK, just a minor glitch. Tried it again and left the system for an hour, but to no avail. Just a blank screen. Browsed the forum and discovered I am not the only one having this conundrum - I am just one of the victims of the Black Screen of Death

Most likely a problem with the kernel unable to find the right resolution for the monitor. Do not want to try with the Alternate CD [the one with the text installer], simply because I suspect after installation, the problem will again reappear, as it has to some of the folks.

Fedora it is, will give Ubuntu another 2 days time....

No comments: